So it’s Valentine’s Day in a few hours, and even though we want to act like the whole hype about it is a little cliché, you still can’t ignore it as it states you in the face. Just thinking of Valentine takes me back to my teenage years, when all that it meant to us was getting dressed up in red and white outfits and going to dates in restaurants so you can brag about how your Val day was better than your friend’s, like seriously those little plastic roses were like diamonds to us. You see the stores all decorated in red and white, lets not even talk of the handmade cards that you see and long for when you walk into a grocery store, really that was all Valentine’s day was to us and when I look back now I just laugh till I can’t laugh anymore.
My most funny moment was a Val’s day that I go two dates who both took me to the same restaurant the same day but different time, damn girl I felt like a queen lol, any way today’s post is on how to enjoy and celebrate this special day at home with your loved ones.
So, personally I live for family time, the best times are the ones we spent with our loved ones and how we impacted them, so let’s make Valentine memorable for our kids.
Here are a few tips to make this happen.
1) Decorate your home for this event, create an atmosphere of love and celebration in the home, buy a few scented candles, balloons, rose petals and decorative lighting to put the home in place. This will help build anticipation in everyone as well as make the day special, after all just cos you are celebrating at home doesn’t mean it has to be boring.
2) Prepare a meal that you know the family enjoys, get drinks that are kids friendly, the aim is to have everyone enjoy the day together and keep a lasting impression, so you can make a few easy snacks, finger foods and then a nice dinner to go, note that it doesn’t have to be expensive, just do what you can, the most important is the mindset.
3) Get gifts for everyone, something to show that you appreciate their presence in your life.
4) While at the table, commit everyone to show an act of love to every member of the family, then also let every one say what they love about every member of the family, center your conversations around the theme of the day which is LOVE, you will be amazed at how this little exercise could further strengthen the family bond.
5) Take pictures of your day together, the meals, the laughs and everything in between, pictures are a great way of storing memories
6) Let the day be as fun as possible, music that you can dance to, games that everyone can engage in and let that set the tone for how the day will go.
7) After all these steps named above have been taken, you need to relax and enjoy the day, and most importantly let the message of love radiate through all you do, teach the kids the true meaning of love and Valentine day, make it clear that it’s not about immoral acts or been with the opposite sex, its about bonding and treating the other person just the way you will treat yourself. Preach love in your own language.
So that’s it guys, from me to you all its happy Valentine’s Day. Let me know your thoughts on these tips, the ones that worked for you and any other suggestions you have to making the day memorable at home. See you all in my next post.