Congratulations on your pregnancy, such an exciting moment I must say, babies change our entire lives and it’s so important that we plan very well before their arrival.
When it comes to having a baby , there are so many advice out there , and trust me you can easily get carried away with all the beautiful baby items when you go baby shopping ,so it’s important that you know exactly what you need and only buy that as much as possible.
Who better to know and dish out this advice than a mum of 3, yea having gone through this phase three good times am giving out my advice on what you really need to cope with your newborn in the first one month.
The first month will go by very fast and you will wonder where time went, you will spend most of this time indoors, especially your bedroom, you will also lack a lot of sleep and hardly have any me-time. So you might want to hold up on that stroller first cos you might not even go out.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE 1ST MONTH
1) Lots of sleep suits , yes all those cute fashionable dresses and clothes are lovely but you might not even remember you have them in the first one month, your baby is going to be in sleep suits and onesies most of the time , it keeps them covered up completely which is very important at this age.
2) Diapers and Wipes, they go hand in hand and for the first 31days you can go through over 150 diapers and at least 120wipes and this is been realistic so you need to have lots and lots of diaper and wipes, you don’t want to run of diaper in the middle of the night, cos there are some nights your baby will poo more than twice, and also get your diaper in one brand to avoid having to deal with diaper rash.
3) You will need help, all the sisters, brothers, friends and relatives that are willing to help out, you will need them. Ever heard the saying that it takes a village to raise a child? Yes it really does, you need all the help you can get, cos of all the sleepless nights you will go through for the first 12weeks, your body will be tired and need rest while you still have to tend to your baby, so accept help, someone that can help watch the baby while you take that much needed 1hour nap.
4) Breast pads , nipple cream , feeding bottles ,breast pump , sterilizing unit , basically everything you will need if your are breastfeeding or formula feeding . Babies are fed on the average every two hours so if you are breastfeeding your nipples might be sore in the first week from trying to latch your baby properly so you will need the nipple cream.
And if you are formula feeding you need the sterilizing unit for your bottles.
5) Another very important thing you will need is a very good doctor and pediatrician that you can easily access , so many things happen with a new born and it will save you A lot of stress when you can easily put a call through to the pediatrician and know if it’s something serious or not. Nothing is more reassuring than hearing your pediatrician say ‘ it’s nothing to worry about’ when you have a newborn.
6) A very good internet connection or a cable subscription will come in handy since you are pretty much stuck at home, some entertainment will be nice to keep you calm while you adjust to your new motherhood status.
In all having a baby is wonderful , beautiful and also requires all of you , so take it easy and do your best to enjoy these moments as they grow up too fast. See you in my next post Xoxo.