Babies are blessings from God, and what a great joy, love and bond they bring! These days with photographers, who show case stunning and breath taking baby pictures on social media, one just feels like having a baby every day.
As cute and wonderful as it is to have a child, one must note that it comes with a lot of responsibilities, speaking from experience babies change your entire world, from the pregnancy stage to their very arrival, so it’s of utmost importance that you are ready or at least know what you must have in place before having a baby.
1) The state of your relationship- as you know it takes two to come together and have a baby, so it’s very important to consider the current status and state of your relationship.
Never try to use a baby to make a relationship work; this is because the stress of having a new born could even break a healthy relationship if not properly managed.
Talk with your partner to know if they are ready, babies are blessings and so their coming should be received with all happiness and joy.
If you currently live apart, or are having issues it’s best to wait and sort all that out first before bringing a child into the picture.
2) Your Financial state- You must have heard that it’s expensive to have a child, this is as true as you will only want to give your child the very best.
From getting a good hospital, to buying the essentials for welcoming a baby, adequate health care and welfare, all these takes a toll on your bank balance, so you have to make sure that either they both of your are working or having a major source of income and that way you can plan towards your baby, this will help reduce frustration when the baby arrives.
3) The mental health of both partners- Not much is said about this and that’s why am drawing attention to it right now. Having a baby can affect you mentally in ways you never imagined, so if of you is having issues mentally, like been stressed out or depressed you will need to seriously get a doctor’s advice on whether having a child at this moment is a good idea.
A child doesn’t solve depression or mental health and the reason this is important is to avoid post natal depression or a complete fall out of the relationship or the mental health of either of the partners.
This is because with a baby comes, lots of sleepless nights, constant crying and a whole lot of stress work that could be very stressful for even the most sane person.
4) Your support system – The saying that it takes a village to raise a child couldn’t be more real than when you have a child and realize that you actually need all the help you can get in taking care of your baby.
You must consider if you have a support system to start with, do you have a friend, sibling, mother or mother-in-law that could easily jump in and assist you? Or are you going to depend on nannies which could be very expensive not to talk of the fear of them not giving adequate care to your baby, this is why it’s always important to have this checked off your list before the baby comes.
5) Your age- A lot of times we concentrate on careers so much that we forget to plan on having kids, no matter how much you might want to ignore it, age plays a very important role when it comes to having kids.
Medically a woman’s fertility starts to drop from the age of 32 and for men it goes as far as 40, this is not to put pressure on anyone but to serve as a reminder that if you know that having kids is what you want to do at some point in your life, then it makes A lot of sense to think about the age factor and plan accordingly.
I hope this post had been helpful to you and please you know I love to always read your comments so let me know what you think in the comments section, as well as other points you think I should add .
Babies are nothing short of blessings so it makes a lot of sense to plan adequately before having them.
Xoxo. See you in my next post.